Wednesday, December 13, 2006

At the Catacombs in Rome, Italy

Today I had a glorious time at the catacombs in Rome.

We had an English-speaking guide from the states.

He asked me if I was from Spain because he didn't expect Americans in Rome in December. I was a surprise, and he was a surprise to me.

He told the story of martyrs so plainly, as if he were reading the instructions for how to replace a lock. He didn't speak irreverently, just simply. He aimed to relate history.

Yet, how could I keep from weeping at his words? Did he see the tears in my eyes? Why wasn't everyone else crying? How precious! How glorious to be in those tombs. I felt unworthy to be the sister of those who were buried here long ago.

Our guide calmly reminded us of death in a peaceful and fatherly way and of heaven and hell, and expressed that he hopes for heaven. His hope was beautiful in part because it was humble. He wasn't braging, though some in this world would say he had a right to. He spent his days as some kind of priest (as far as I know) in ROME, as a CATHOLIC, talking about martyrs of the faith (all things that seem to qualify Him for eternal life). You'd think he'd have a right to brag, an earthly right. But in truth he was humble, as we should be. Can we, too, go to heaven? Though there is no fire on our back or wild dogs encircling us, as some martyrs faced? Even us who might forsake our faith should we encounter such a moment? Can we weak in faith be His sheep?

In answer to this question think again over the parable in Matthew 20 about the workers in the vineyard.

"The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work in the heat of the day.'

"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'

Can you believe that we will receive the same wage as the martyers? This is because our Lord is generous.

No comments: