Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hit

I jumped out of the backseat of the car at a stop light. I had forgotten I promised Delia I would meet her at my apartment, and left the house when Vio invited me out. I had to get back home before Delia arrived.

I was thinking God always had a reason for me being this forgetful when I noticed a strange sight. The street was full of buses and cars, but no one was in them. "I could steal a bus," I considered, but then I realized that there was no where to drive it. It was stopped behind other empty cars. I noticed two other empty buses on the road. "Why would buses be completely empty?" I had seen this once before in Romania. When I was on a bus in Timnisoara there was an accident in the road ahead of us. The cars had to stop, including the bus, and all the bus passengers, myself included, got out of the bus and simply walked to our destinations.

Then I noticed the throng of people on the street. I joined them to see that a man lay in the street in his own blood. The car that hit him, beside him. The Ambulance was there with medical professionals. I saw one bloody boot beside the man and the other boot on the his foot. I couldn't see his face. People gathered silently on the street to watch, giving plenty of room to the medical crew. A lady came up next to me and asked me who it was. "I don't know," I said, and a man infront of her explained to her what he knew. I was praying as I stood there, and something in the silence of the mob told me that I wasn't the only one. Little kids were there, too, looking at the blood and the motionless man. "It's a good lesson for all of us," I considered, "to be careful pedestrians and drivers. Perhaps it's even more effective than 'Red Asphault.'"

I enjoyed how Romania wasn't like America for a moment. These police weren't pushing people away. There was nothing wrong with our looking, and perhaps there were lessons learned from watching that the best Driver's Training Course couldn't match. Furthermore, I like how even three bus drivers stood on the street and watched - and everybody just left there work and their jobs and the important things they were doing - just to see what happened. Because human life mattered more then getting things done. This man's life, or even just his traumatic experience, was worth MORE than hundreds of schedules and there was nobody in the crowd arguing with this.

No comments: