Sunday, January 7, 2007

Speaking In Laughter

We were going to go for a walk tonight in the snow, but before I reached the road I saw 22 year-old Cosmin filling a large plastic bag with snow. "Have you ever done this?" He asked, as he placed the the bag on the icy road. The road was on a hill because our cabin was in the mountains and he slid down the road sitting on his plastic bag. His 19 year-old (?) wife followed him on her own bag a few moments later. When he returned he threw some more ice in the plastic bag and handed it to me. Cautiously I got down on the road and took off. It was SO fun to slide in the snow and the bag worked VERY well. When people offered me a plastic seat later, I declined. Because of the incline in the road we could slide quickly! and remember that it was night so we couldn't see so well, though the snow was a blinding white by day.

After a few times down the road on the plastic bag the Romanians introduced by demonstration the next level of sledding: "tail" sledding. First two people sat on plastic bags or seats on the icy road and faced each other, then a third person sat behind the second person and wraped their legs around them. Then a fourth person was added and so on until there were 8 people sliding down the mountain like a snake escaping fire.

Later I got the courage to join. It was one of the best dangereous decisions I've made! We really built speed all together, holding someone's legs, feeling someone's arms wraped around yours, holding on tight so our tail wouldn't break (which I did; which was also fun). I remember laughing as we walked back up the hill in the night and telling myself that I had to record this moonlit night and the moments I had of really losing myself in laughter and loving life. I noted this as we walked back up the road telling each other in laughter what a good time we were having.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Marilyn, your words about your activities are so thoughtful, and they pain amazing pictures of your life in Romania! The photos posted by Vio of you are great too, you're SO beautiful! Europe agrees with you, girl!

Who's Marty? He's very cute.

I'm having dinner with your sister tonight, I'll have to make sure she reads your blog too.

Love you!