Monday, November 27, 2006

One time in a finance class

I went with my Roommate, Violeta, to one of her finance classes. Vio talked to the teacher before hand to ask if I could sit in on the class. Bringing an American to his class seemed to catch him off gaurd, but he had no problems with it. Once inside the class of possibly 75 students, I noticed they were all taking notes while he spoke (In Romanian, of course). I was prepared with my student note book. I took notes of the interesting sounds he was making, though I had no idea what they meant or if I was hearing them correctly - then he started walking around the classroom as he spoke. Vio and I were sitting right by an isle. I decided the best way to keep from being noticed was to try to act normal and at ease as he passed by. Apparently I was doing a pretty good job acting like I knew what he was talking about, because he paused in the middle of his lecture as He passed by us and looked at me, saying in Romanian, "Do you understand what I'm teaching about?" I paused because I wasan't 100% sure of his question, though I knew he was talking to me and asking about my understanding.

"No," I said in English. (Speaking in English would make my point more clearly, right?)

And then he said the nicest thing, "Probably about as much as I would understand if this class were taught in English." Then he continued teaching and I continued taking notes

After the class I thanked him and he asked how it was. "Bine," I said. He told me he thought the best way for me to study the Romanian language was with a Romanian man.

No comments: